Truth be told: my wife and I are currently looking to buy a piece of property. With our budget, the best-case scenario is “former meth lab.” But beggars can’t be choosers.
Worst-case scenario, we find a perfect three-bedroom, two-bath and then we find out it has a poltergeist. Did you know that legally a real estate agent does not have to disclose if a house is haunted?
It’s true. Look it up.
The following people found frightening and interesting surprises left for them by the previous owners of a house. Most of these are either dealbreakers that an inspector should have found, or cool secret passages that up the resale value of the home.
Anyway, these are the things you get to see on HGTV. Enjoy the weirdness of these new home discoveries.
Here are the strangest and coolest surprises people found in their new homes:
1. While moving my parent into their new house, I found this hidden in the attic of the garage. Dated 1944 on the handle. I wonder if the names are a victim list.
2. I found this painting tucked away behind the washer/dryer in the laundry room of my new house.
3. Previous owner of new house blocked this hidden basement room off with a shelf (door does not lead outside).
4. Seems chill.
5. A bedroom in my parents’ new place. I will not be sleeping here.
6. That feeling when you just moved into the Bates Motel
7. Fixing the patio and you find some tagged remains.
8. New house has a secret room under the stairs.
9. I should have never opened the attic.
10. Found a classic children’s toy in the attic.
11. The basement bathroom. WTF??
12. Annabelle looks terrible! Found in the basement of an estate sale.
13. The new apartment has been chipped!
14. Friend just bought a new house and showed me where the ex-owner was found.
15. It was NOT a deep-pit BBQ
16. Vintage board games found in the attic.
17. New house has an interesting toilet seat.
18. Great spot for a pencil sharpener.
19. Trap door leads to a whole new space.
20. Just a fun collage in the new house. I’m scared.
21. Found in the attic of a new vacation home.
22. Found 37 clowns under the porch.
23. Walked into the new house and found this in an envelope. Note said “Dad’s Two Sharp Teeth.”
24. Found a bunker in the new house. Squeezed my phone down there to take the creepiest photo.
25. Found this in the backyard.
26. New apartment toilet was helping… science I guess?
27. Looked in the new storage cabinet and found her.
28. My buddy bought a house and found some X-Rays in a box.
29. Renovating the house and found a peephole.
30. Fun find in a new storage room.
31. Found a bottle of something in the new basement. Probably should drink it.
32. The old thermometer is still in the wall.
33. An old 7Up can found in the attic.
34. Should I open it?
35. Secret second apartment.
36. Nice to have a “knife room.”
37. Sealed tight.
38. Incredible basement find.
39. Creepy art found in the shed.
40. Found a secret bedroom.
41. House came with a coffee pot built into the wall.
42. Found some money from 1981.
43. Secret room behind the bookcase.
44. Finally checking out the new house’s attic.
45. Found a secret safe.
46. The 20-year-old promise on the wall.
47. Old newspaper in the crawlspace dated 1902.
48. Welcome to basement study hall.
49. New house comes with a clock that moved backward.
50. Found a painting of Belsnickel in the basement of my new house.
h/t Reddit: r/mildlyinteresting