We could all do better when it comes to making a more equitable society. For instance, I just bought my dog a coat that matches mine so he can feel more like a person. Wait- that’s not it. Oh, I know. I read this list of microaggressions women hear every day so that I can do my own small part to not add to the noise that is sexism. The moments might seem harmless to you, but in reality, you’re perpetuating sexist thinking.
Listen, it’s not entirely your fault. Everyone is born with certain biases and assumptions. Then, society tacks on its own prejudice. The information piles on until suddenly you find yourself thinking of others as less than you. It’s narcissistic and evil, but don’t blame yourself. Blame your parents. And the media. And yourself.
I’m kidding. You’re a good person, I think. If you clicked on this link, you’re at least curious about which ways you could treat women better. Or you’re a woman who purposefully wants to make herself angry by reading the annoying things other women have to deal with. No judgments. You do you.
Here are the everyday moments of sexism women experience on a regular basis:
1. A woman on the Reddit forum r/askwomen had a simple question…
2. Doctors don’t believe women.
3. I think you mean “boy toy”?
4. Haircuts are different somehow.
5. Only ladies do the the housework according to ads.
6. No need to comment on this, men.
7. But, like, what if you’re not?
8. Another sign of male privilege.
9. Sadly, even vaccine dosages are tailored to men, and that’s why women have worse reactions.
10. Sounds like it’s time for an HR meeting.
11. I mean, we do need to clean it up down there.
12. Don’t be that guy.
13. Women, you should also stop that.