Filmmaker and collector of strange photos from Google Maps, Jon Rafman, wants to show you the world. He “walks” through Google street view for hours on end, and finds the beautiful, the insane, and the funny. In fact, he finds a lot of stuff that likely was never meant to be caught on camera. Hopefully, no one is caught doing anything illegal.
For the most part, Rafman collects accidentally hilarious or odd moments. Images that were meant to show people how to get around a city or find a specific address are turned into art. All in a screengrab. A picture says a thousand words, but getting caught on camera mid-handshake with a strange woman waiting on a street corner says even more.
Here are the funniest and most beautiful images that Google Street View accidentally captured:
1. Like a beautiful painting.
2. Unintentionally dark and pretty landscape.
3. Are these trees made from candy?
5. Remember big public events?
6. You could just pick a tree to hide behind.
7. Walking along the bridge, spying on a couple.
8. Stopping the jump rope to look at the Google car going by.
9. Umm. Are you two OK?
10. Basically, a scene from It but in real life.
11. How often are people stuck in the street?
12. Who did you expect to see there?
13. Is their address listed? I’d like to visit.
14. Something unfortunate happened here, and Google caught it for eternity.