The COVID pandemic is not over. In fact, it’s just beginning. I kid. It’s almost over-ish. Once we reach herd immunity and our parents are vaccinated, we can slowly start to go into stores and other people’s homes without feeling like we’re killing people. But, there wasn’t always a light at the end of this tunnel. Bad takes, funny thoughts about what was coming next and truly odd descriptions of what people were doing in quarantine took us through 2020 to the present.
Now that we’re heading toward some semblance of normalcy, it’s a good time to remember how funny people still managed to be from the spring of 2020 to now. Memes about the coronavirus, jokes about quarantine, and hilarious invectives aimed at the people who were supposedly in charge got us through the year from Hell.
I will show you how funny it got from the beginning to the middle and to (hopefully) the end.
Here are the funniest memes from phase one of the COVID-19 pandemic when we didn’t really know what was coming:
1. The first case in NYC was confirmed on March 1st, 2020, and NYC comedian Eli Yudin had the big hit ready to go.
2. Certainly, no one believed in early 2020 it would “take it this far” as Kanye would say.
3. People learned quickly who mattered most.
4. And who mattered least.
5. Dogs were having the time of their lives, even though a few, in fact, caught the virus.
6. Everyone with a significant other had to face some painful truths.
7. Some people could see what the future held.
8. Other people just wanted some peace and quiet in the present.
9. We spent March and April of 2020 stocking up.
10. No one wanted to think about what was happening.
11. But, a few really leaned into the quarantine.
12. Friends kept trying to act like things were normal.
13. And the dogs kept us sane.
14. We were all in limbo and it felt like waiting for a plane to nowhere.
15. Sadly, this is true for me specifically.